Sunday, October 30, 2011

*Acquaint yourself with FEWER People*- Ill-Effects of being too Gregarious{V.Good}[Sufyaan Ath-Thawri]

Bismillahir Rahmaanir Raheem

Assalaamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh
 
Sufyaan Ath-Thawri:-
 A True Mountain of Knowledge & the Leader of Believers in Hadeeth

Keep Only a Few Friends

Sufyaan ath-Thawri

(may Allah have mercy on him)

 

said that one foolishly compromised one's religion when one kept too many friends.

 

Having too many acquaintances diverts one from one's duty towards one's Lord, for a person who has many friends is always busy socializing with them and fulfilling their rights over him; so he becomes prreoccupied with people when he really should be preoccupied with his religious duties.

 

 

The ill-effects of being too gregarious can last well beyond a social gathering.

 

 

Sufyaan said:-

 

 "I might meet a brother and as a result, remain heedless (of what I should be doing) for an entire month."

A friend, Sufyaan insisted, should be someone who helps one to improve as a Muslim; otherwise he is not worth keeping as a friend.

 

Sufyaan expressed this sentiment when he said

 

"If someone is not with you, then he is against you."

And Yousuf ibn Asbaat reported that he heard Sufyaan ath-Thawri say:-

 

 

 "Whenever I spoke contrary to the desires of any man, he, regardless of who he was, would inevitably become furious with me. The people of knowledge and piety have departed."

Sufyaan once advised someone to test the character of the person he wanted to befriend.

 

Sufyaan said:-

 

"Choose whoever you want as your companion. But when you have made your choice, make him angry, and then order someone to go and ask him what he thinks about you-without him knowing that you sent that person."

Bakr ibn Muhammad Al-'Aabid
related that Sufyaan ath-Thawri once said to him:-

 

'Direct me to a man with whom I can keep company'.

 

Sufyaan said:-

"You are searching for something that cannot be found."

Ibn Ismaa'eel Al-Barzaanee reported that he heard Sufyaan ath-Thawri said:-

 

 "Acquaint yourself with fewer people, and as a result, you will backbite less (frequently) ."

 

And Sufyaan ibn 'Uyainah said, "I once saw ath-Thawri in my sleep and I said to him, 'Advise me,' and he responded,

 

 'Acquaint yourself with fewer people."

[May Alah have mercy on him, Aameen]
 
 

 
 

 ...Salaams to You All...   

 

 

                                Y a s m i n.                                    

  "All that is on earth will Perish. But will abide {Forever} 
 the Face of thy Lord, full of Majesty, Bounty and Honour"
 {'Quran'- Surah Al-Rahman-55.26-27 }

'Wasting time is Worse than Death!

Because Death Separates you from this World

 Whereas wasting Time Separates you from Allah'.

Ibn Qayimm Al-Jawziyyah.

 

I Want to Die With my Forehead on the Ground!
The Sunnah in my Heart, Allah on my Mind,
Qur'an on my Tongue, and Tears in my Eyes!

'Insha Allah'! 

' Son of Adam! You are nothing but a number of days, whenever each day passes then part of you has Gone.

 {Al-Hasan Al-Basree}



 

No comments: